What is your top priority for your lawn? If you are like most people, your top priority is weed control. Greenway is grateful to partner with you to achieve the weed-free lawn that you desire and, to that end, many customers ask us what THEY can do to discourage weed growth in their lawn once we have treated it.
Our answer is simple: MOW HIGH.
According toÂ Dr. Dave SmitleyÂ at Michigan State University, mowing high provides five valuable services to your lawn:
- Mowing high makes scalping (turf damage from mowing too short) much less likely to happen.
- Mowing high allows you to clip about 30 percent of the leaf blade each time you mow (the optimum proportion).
- Mowing high promotes establishment of a larger root system, which is more drought tolerant.
- Mowing high provides broadleaf weed and crabgrass control by shading the soil surface.
- Mowing high establishes a grub-tolerant lawn because of the larger root mass.
WHAT HEIGHT IS BEST FOR MY LAWN?
The highest setting on your mower! The top setting for most mowers gives a cutting height between 3.25 and 4 inches. This is best for your lawn, but at a setting of 4 inches you may sometimes see some â€œlaying-overâ€ of turf blades that some people find undesirable. For this reason, some people prefer to mow at 3 or 3.5 inches. For the healthiest and most sustainable approach, 3.5 to 4 inches is most desirable.
You will achieve optimal lawn health and weed control through your partnership with Greenway Lawn and Tree Services as you mow high and we provide a full program of fertilizer and weed control throughout the growing season.
Contact GreenwayÂ today to see how we can partner with you to achieve your most healthy and weed free lawn!